Welcome

One of the most effective ways to allow the Word of God to affect your life is to study it inductively. That is what this blog is all about. Typically one verse per day will be mined for insight and then followed up with how I plan to implement that insight practically. My prayer is that in some way you find this useful in your journey and that it may impact you positively. -G

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Phlippians 1:4 Our Joy Will not be Found on Earth but by the Spirit

Phil 1:4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 


Considering the setting of a prison cell that Paul is confined to, I would imagine that his state of mind would be trying at times and also downright depressing, after all he is still human.  Let's see, Paul could focus on such things that are true but not helpful or positive like the fact that he has lost his freedom because of violent jealous religious leaders who have falsely accused him, that loss of freedom would get to you after a while, or perhaps the frustration of his body being subject to such discomfort as being in chains 24/7. I know that when I do not feel good physically it totally affects my state of mind. How about the certain expectation he may have had for this time in his life that did not include prison, certainly he had some plan that was disrupted, I know that when I am derailed from my expectations of my future it gets me out of sorts. Then there are the more subtle things that a man of Paul's intellect would require such as a certain level of control over his own life that is now in the hands of gruff, godless guards or secular rulers, being in God's hands is comforting but being subject to the whim or carelessness of some low level guard must be vexing to say the least. 
In all this and more that we can deduce Paul rises above these earthly concerns and fleshly need, wants or desires and finds joy in the spirit realm. However it is in the Throne Room of God where he finds great boldness and grace to enter into intercession for all of the brothers and sisters in the faith that he finds his joy. Joy, we learn is not connected to circumstance nor surroundings but a state of mind and condition of the heart.
APPLICATION
Today I will be careful to not let my surroundings, my circumstances or other people to affect my joy found in the spirit. I will discipline myself to be mindful not to react to these visible and earthly inputs but to remain in tune with the Spirit. I will also pray for a fresh baptism of the Holy Sprit to accomplish this today.

No comments:

Post a Comment