Welcome

One of the most effective ways to allow the Word of God to affect your life is to study it inductively. That is what this blog is all about. Typically one verse per day will be mined for insight and then followed up with how I plan to implement that insight practically. My prayer is that in some way you find this useful in your journey and that it may impact you positively. -G

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Philippians 1:7 - Where Is Your Compassion

Phil. 1:7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. 


This verse is quite unique in all of the New Testament in that in employs the word "feel" here in the NIV as well as other versions such as NASB. The premise is clear, Paul is communicating that he is sentimental toward this group of people, the Phillippians. Who in the previous verse he just pronounced a most precious and fervently kept promise of God that the Lord will carry on and complete the good work He once began in us. We all want that promise. We all need that promise. Paul in his great affection toward his Phillippian disciples reveals the extent of his concern and love for them by his choice of terms. Using the word "feeling" is not typical of Paul since he always in every other circumstance is grounded in fact and not usually expressing himself in terms of emotions. I just think that it underscores his great love toward these people.


APPLICATION
I need to examine my own heart to see what it is that I am really compassionate about. I need to align my emotions and concerns toward that which concerns the heart of God. When I do this I will be more in tune with the Spirit.











No comments:

Post a Comment