Welcome

One of the most effective ways to allow the Word of God to affect your life is to study it inductively. That is what this blog is all about. Typically one verse per day will be mined for insight and then followed up with how I plan to implement that insight practically. My prayer is that in some way you find this useful in your journey and that it may impact you positively. -G

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thanks, I don't think so?

Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? Luke 17:9

So as this saga unfolds we have the servant first recieving task upon task, he worked all day and then comes in and is expected to prepare the meal and wait on master as he eats, then he should do all this and not expect to be thanked.  Wow.

How often do we do things with an ulterior motive of something in return. From the insignificant hand wave when we let a driver cut in front of us to the favor or act of service we may perform, scratch my back and I'll scratch yours... We automatically expect some sort of acknowledgement in response. The great I, Me or Self is always looking for that nod or recompense.

Self is inclined to keep score and demand its rights, those rights which should no longer exist if indeed we belong to Christ. It reminds me of the scene when Mother Theresa was at the banquet to receive her Nobel Peace Prize. She was not found on the dias or at any special table eating the lavish banquet prepared in her honor, but was out in the galley and hallways with the help eating a bowl of rice for it was all she needed. That is a picture of laying down rights, she had the right to that meal but she deliberately decided not to avail herself though her flesh would enjoy and even revel in it.

APPLICATION
I need to check my motives. I need to be able to become satisfied that the laying down of my rights is my goal and should be sufficient for me, and to discipline my flesh to not expect anything in return for any service or favor I perform for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment